Thursday, September 14, 2006

First Screening

Today my baby went to its first day of nursery school. I called one of the executive producers into the studio--the one I like and trust the most--and ran the whole movie without interruption. Also without sound effects (birds in the forest, chatter and clatter in restaurants, traffic on the streets, etc.--you have no idea what a difference these things make) and only a few music cues. I was weirdly un-nervous--I guess I know the movie is in good shape and what it's going to rise or fall on at this point is the story itself.

Her reaction?

The comment when the lights came up was "Very nice. You should feel good about this. Very good first-showing-it-to-me." I take that as a B-. She had only three or four small notes, all of which I thought were very good and all of which we executed. Except, of course, the recurrent one about making Le Star more sexy. I'm sorry, he's exactly as sexy as he is; short of plastic surgery, three months in the gym and a total reshoot there isn't much I can do.

Of course I wanted her to leap to her feet and hug me and say "that's the best director's cut I've ever seen." So why didn't I get that?

Because it's a nice enough story with terrific performances well told. She did admit that she has trouble seeing movies clearly without music and effects, which she'll have in about 10 days. Still...

Tomorrow is the real test. I'm showing it to a couple of strangers. To people who doesn't know the story or anything about it and aren't in the business. Then I'll find out if there's anything compelling about the characters and all their running around.

That one I'm nervous about.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:35 PM  
Blogger The Wandering Author said...

Is "break a leg" what you're supposed to say to someone in the movies, too?

It sounds a lot like an author waiting for someone to read his new book. My stomach is in knots just thinking about it.

Consider good thoughts sent your way, in whatever fashion is appropriate.

10:18 PM  
Blogger barista brat said...

glad to hear she had a good first impression.

1:03 AM  
Blogger Facets of V said...

I have faith Tom....

6:52 AM  
Blogger Facets of V said...

btw...I posted a funny for you on my site if you need a giggle.

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home