Friday, September 29, 2006

Report Card

When I was in elementary school I used to get nervous to the point of sweating over what grade I was going to get when Teacher was handing back tests and papers. An A and a smiley face meant hours of happiness and pride. Anything B+ or lower and the absence of a gold star or a smiley face meant gloom and shame. Do you think anything has changed? The day before yesterday EP #1, the lovely, warm one who is my friend, gave me five notes on the whole movie, said only nice things about it beside those notes--which were small, detailed and very very smart--and then went on to talk for an hour about the temp score--the music from other movies which we've put on the film until our composer has finished his cues--also in a detailed and intelligent manner. She liked the movie and it was all very positive. She even said "What kind of notes will the network possibly have on this?" So why am I on the gloomy side? Because I didn't get an A+, a smiley face, a "this is brilliant and perfect." Then yesterday EP #3---the famous one, the one who ran two studios and a big record label into bankruptcy in the 80's and 90's and made several hundred million dollars in golden parachute fees along the way---spent a few hours in my cutting room being condescending, vague, and, truth be told, quite sharp and creative. And also quite positive about the movie: almost all of his comments had to do with ideas about the music. All in all, with a couple of exceptions which I will deal with, his comments will make the movie better. So why am I so low? Again: lack of a big hug, a YOU ARE BRILLIANT. So grow up already, Tom! You're a grownup professional, not a first grader whose entire ego is wrapped up in his precocity. In the land of grownup professionals it's about getting the job done, not about petting the cute little A student on the head. Basta, basta, basta,. I'm cross with myself for so easily giving in to feelings of insecurity, hurt feelings and fear of never working again (have felt that one since my first job 28 years ago) to the degree that I am.

Here's my biggest problem with EP #'s notes. It has to do with romantic music--music that expresses love. I feel that all the great love songs ever written are about yearning, longing, aching, not about happy happy triumph. Think of Unchained Melody. It's not a Sesame Street alphabet song. It's a ballad. There's a sadness to it, a sadness that makes you happy. EP #3 wants all the love music to be positive. First I have to not throw up at the thought of it. Then I have to figure out how to win on this one without making any enemies.

6 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

In my reading, I routinely come across the recommended necessity for thick skin in this industry, but what happens when the poking and prodding one feels comes more from within than from outside sources? Is it really about growing up or is what your feeling the universal need for acceptance we all come across throughout the course of our lives?

It sounds to me like everything is on track, Tom. Hang in there, you'll be fine.

Looking forward...

4:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would like to hear more about your childhood and how it relates to your present situation. (I thrive on making these connections.) I was a total underachiever in elementary school, literally the next to last in my class (Goddamn British school, they actually ranked us!) Never gave a shit whether I got a gold star or a smiley face (though, I must be quite a bit older than you. No smiley faces in my time).

We finally have something in common. I am now officially in the entertainment business, though in a non-profit... in DC ... in charge of funding programming ... figure it out?

Ernesto

6:25 PM  
Blogger barista brat said...

in school i never cared about the extra smiley faces. so long as i maintained my b average i was happy. it hasn't been until i started writing that i felt the desire (need?) for praise.

maybe it's because i don't half-ass with my writing. maybe it's because i pour so much of myself into my work. maybe it's because sometimes i just feel the need for recognition of my efforts.

anyway - i'm puzzled as well about the whole "positive" music score. off the top of my head i can't think of any movie that would work in unless it's some rom-com.

3:55 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

Ernesto Raul--when I was a kid my parents yelled at each other just about every second of every day when they weren't too busy glowering at each other or bickering with other to yell. Somehow in my head I forged an association between being a shining wonder, a high achiever, a golden boy, with creating peace in the house. Yeah, like that really worked.

brat--yeah, the "positive" music thing is a head-scratcher. My composer and I (who as you will remember was crammed down my throat with a baseball bat by none other than EP#3) are conspiring to do just enough to make him think we have satisfied his note.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Facets of V said...

I too like the smiley faces, the back pats and the 'well dones'. I think it mainly comes from the fact that when I do something it is generally for others...and I want to know that others approve! If it were strictly for me it might be different. Your film IS for others to enjoy, no wonder you want people to validate that you have done a good job. I see nothing to fret about Tom. I agree with you on the love songs too. Love is a strong emotion and it's seldom easy or smooth...it's filled with such a plethoria of emotions.. uncertainty, hope, tenderness, fear, playfulness, dispair.. with moments of extreme joy, and pain...the music should reflect. Good luck. I know it will be great.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Jason Hesiak said...

Hey Tom,

Reading your blog...enjoying it. We all long for acceptance, but I think you probably did a fine job cutting La Starlet's parts in the film. Tell her to kiss your ass :) Just kidding. I myself at an early age decided on the "kiss my ass" philosophy over taking on the burden of the necessary gold star. I eventually even got to wondering just how golden is that golden star anyway? But I do long for acceptance and support. Its certainly often an unresolved tension.

Jason

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home