Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Rowing Upstream

In Hollywood you take writing gigs for all kinds of reasons. You take them because you're passionate about the subject matter; because they're paying you a ton of dough; because there's a good chance it'll get made; because you need the work; because there's a producer or actor involved that you want to work with. One thing I've learned, or tell myself I've learned, is that no matter what the reason, if you don't feel the story somewhere in your gut it's going to be hell to write the damn thing, because trying to come up with it out of the frontal lobes of your brain with no help from the muse or the subconscious or the wellsprings of inspiration or whatever you want to call it is like carrying boulders the size of Buicks up hill all day long.

Here's the situation: Not long ago I got offered a job adapting a novel by an author I had never heard of but who turns out to sell more books than Dean Koontz and Stephen King and falls only slightly short of Nora Roberts and J.K. Rowling in the Amazon rankings. You've seen his books in the supermarket. Maybe you've bought them and read them. Maybe it's only the snob in me that doesn't love them. They strike me as essentially soft core--some kind of hazy love story/mystery wrapped around a few chest-heaving bodice-ripping sex scenes. I took the job because if it gets made I get to direct it and I haven't said "Action" or "Cut" for almost six years now, except to members of my family, and they don't obey the way actors do. So that means lots of fun once I'm out there in the forest with headphones on and a hundred people waiting for me to tell them what to do. But now I have to write it. I have to fill 100 or so pages with sharp witty dialogue and big emotional scenes and steadily building tension. So here I sit trying to do a great job with something I don't think is great, and the worst part, the very worst part of all, is this: since the book hasn't found a foothold in my heart, my inner compass isn't working right. I don't even know if my perceptions of it are correct. Maybe it's better than I think. Maybe this is just a new kind of procrastination and resistance. Maybe I should stop rowing so hard, turn the kayak around and let the current carry me. Or maybe that's just my laziness talking. Maybe I need to row harder. Maybe I need to light candles and chant and tell the muse I'm sorry I took a job I didn't really believe in and beg her to come back. Sometimes she does, you know, if you ask nicely.

And most of all I gotta ask myself: if hundreds of millions of people all over the world love this guy's books, who the hell am I to say they're wrong?

Important thought here: MASSIVE GRATITUDE that I have the job at all. I'm just saying...

9 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Congratulations. Sometimes writers need to whore themselves out, It is part of the game unfortunately.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Flip said...

Perhaps you can actually add your magic touch so that the movie is better than the book. Or perhaps you just have to slog through it.

Although I have no actual experience upon which to draw I think I would be as motivated as hell to try to improve on the book by the thought of maybe having to stand in front of all those people ordering them around to produce a piece of crap that I managed to make even crappier.

Good luck. At least Buicks are smaller now than they used to be.

9:43 PM  
Blogger cp said...

I'm one of your readers and I am a patient man and I've no wish to rush you, but I can see that in these posts and in this blog you are circling around and around something and I don't what it is and I don't know if you know what it is, but there's something you are trying to get at and you just have not got at it yet........

8:27 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

The problem you note, CP, is that I don't really know what my blog is about. Working through the al-anon 4th step on my wife has been one trajectory; I had been totally blocked on that, and doing it on line opened up the flow, but that's almost wrapped up. Maybe I'm relishing an aimlessness that I don't and can't allow myself in my scripts. Maybe I don't have a central drama in my life that's as focussed and compelling as the unfolding stories in the blogs I follow. Or maybe, as you say, I just haven't gotten to the point yet. I have insane and nearly impracticable deadlines on the two scripts I'm writing right now, so maybe I'm just enjoying the absence of a deadline on getting to the point here. I guess I could sum all that up by saying: thank you for your patience. And thanks for helping me realize what I want to say in my next post.

Or maybe the one after that.

10:51 PM  
Blogger annabkrr said...

Tom, I can relate to not knowing what your blog is really about. I don't know what I'm trying to accomplish with mine or my "book" I keep pecking out.
Good luck with your job, I'm sure you'll do a great job.
Your a great source of inspiration for me, it's a window for me to see a writers life. I want so badly to be a writer.

10:35 AM  
Blogger cp said...

And please don't think I was criticizing........you're just building up to something, that's what I'm beginning to think.........

3:22 PM  
Blogger annabkrr said...

Hey Tom, I replied to your comment over on my blog, but assumed you'd see this one first. I'd be honored for the link, and thanks for the recommendation, I'll be purchasing it soon.
Have a great evening!

4:44 PM  
Blogger Facets of V said...

I just found your blog and enjoyed it very much..I will be back!

12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just remind yourself that millions of people love McDonalds, but the food is still shit.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home