Monday, October 16, 2006

Foreign Sales Rides Again

In addition to Foreign Sales Lady there is Foreign Sales Guy, and the simple fact, as I have learned today, is that Mr. and Mrs. Foreign Sales don't like the movie. They were expecting a THRILLER. That's what they sank their Euros into. The movie is, and always was, from the time it was just a little mega-bestselling-novel waiting to grow up into a cable movie, a romance with a light bit of thriller shot through it. They read the book. They read the script. They were still expecting a THRILLER. And somehow they think it will be more of a thriller with slower, more "European" cutting and those dag-blasted Wide Vistas they will NOT SHUT UP ABOUT. Here's what I don't get about the Foreign Sales Duo: F.S. Guy was born in New Jersey and is as American as Mt. Rushmore. F.S. Lady was born in NYC and is as NYC as Nathan's hot dogs. So why, why, tell me, please, WHY, do they now speak with the cultivated Euro-Germanic accents of reception clerks at an upscale boutique hotel in a newly gentrified neighborhood of Berlin? I lived in France for a while. Did you catch me talking like LeBeau in Hogan's Heroes?

Truth be told: it hurts. I want everybody to love my movie. EVERY SINGLE PERSON EVERYWHERE. And here's a confession that's not easy to make: after my transatlantic call this morning I went to www.imdb.com, source of all things movie and TV, and looked up every movie on which Mr. and Mrs. Foreign Sales are credited as producers, and gloated over the horrible reviews and low user ratings they received. And got all unhappy that there was one movie on there that people actually seemed to like. That's how much of a grown up I am!

5 Comments:

Blogger Facets of V said...

Hey that sounds grown up to me...we will call it 'checking them out'! A totally reasonable thing to do in my world! I believe the word for the accents is...PHONEY. We all know about phoneys, brown nosers, ass kissers etc. As I understand it, their job is not in the creative process..only to sell it so $#^$ em! I know you want everybody to love the movie, but honestly with some people it is more of a compliment to your work if they DON'T like it! Chin up....it IS a good movie!!! So sayeth the lil ol lady from Texas lol

1:54 PM  
Blogger Facets of V said...

I was giving this some thought and it occured to me that perhaps there is some professional jealousy on their part given their track record with stink bombs?

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with V! (She is an intelligent, beautiful woman.) Some people just can't see good when it smacks them in the face with an iron skillet! Stay true to the book and it's always better. Your public has spoken... and isn't that who pays the bills in the long run? lol

11:01 AM  
Blogger Wide Lawns said...

Oh Lord have mercy, the fake accents. We have a few of those where I work. There is this one woman who was a stripper from the bayous of Louisiana who married well and decided that now that she was wealthy she needed to affect a British accent, but she's god awful bad at it so it ends up sounding like a cross between a New Orleans hooker and the women from Absolutely Fabulous mixed with a bizarre speech impediment. She LOVES when people ask where she is from too. Can you just imagine? What is wrong with people?

11:36 AM  
Blogger Jason Hesiak said...

"as American as Mt. Rushmore. F.S. Lady was born in NYC and is as NYC as Nathan's hot dogs. So why, why, tell me, please, WHY, do they now speak with the cultivated Euro-Germanic accents of reception clerks at an upscale boutique hotel in a newly gentrified neighborhood of Berlin? I lived in France for a while. Did you catch me talking like LeBeau in Hogan's Heroes?" - You're funny. Sounds like its generally going well and has come together nicely.

Jason

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home