Saturday, February 25, 2006

Enough




It has been suggested by a respected blogger that I'm circling my point here and not getting to it. This is true. So I'll get right to the point, right now, although I don't have the energy or will to elaborate tonight.

I'm writing this blog because since the later years of the Eisenhower presidency--that is to say, since my earliest memories--I have experienced life way too much of the time as a pain-based, broken-glass-inside-the-skull dance of anxiety, dread and doubt. Or to put it another way: since about the time Sputnik was launched I have been one considerably screwed up, if apparently high-functioning, individual. Throwing myself into the 12 steps of Al-Anon, resuming work on a long ago set-aside piece of writing, beginning a new and powerful kind of therapy and, yes, blogging, are all part of my decision to make this, my 52nd year, the year that I say ENOUGH and begin to find a way to live without broken glass inside my skull.

You may ask what the significance of the photo is. Very simple: I took it one morning on one of the best bike rides I've ever taken in my life and I put it here to cheer myself up. No, that's not true. I put it here to show off to you that I've been to Easter Island, I can afford to take big trips, and so, you see, I can't be that messed up after all, can I?

4 Comments:

Blogger Facets of V said...

lol some of the most screwed up people I know are the ones who can afford big trips. Is there a law somewhere that forbids financial success and mental peace at the same time? I like that sarcasm, it says to me that you still see the humor, so maybe you aren't quite as nutty as you think!

11:23 PM  
Blogger annabkrr said...

Shame on the show off for whining! Here he is, the one with this wonderful life and he is complaining to us nothings? JUST KIDDING! I couldn't help it though, you left yourself wide open. :) Lets make a deal Tom, let this, your 52nd and my 35th year, be THE YEAR we both figure IT out. I have no damn idea what IT is, so if you figure it out first, please tell me.
BTW, I love the picture! And you go on bike rides, which means now I respect you more, gotta love bike riding. It's the best thing in the world for a mind that needs easing.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Flip said...

Tom, please keep circling. If you ever "get it" I will be extremely pissed because:

1) You will quit blogging
2) You will "get it" before I did because I don't think I will ever "get it" and I think if I think I ever do "get it" I will be either physically or spiritually dead, but regardless if you really do "get it" before I "get it" I will be jealous because you won. Get it?

Sorry for all the quotation marks.

11:06 AM  
Blogger brotherbill said...

That's me, third from the right.

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home