Sunday, November 26, 2006

Towering Genius

I just saw Babel. Make that I just stumbled out of the theater where I saw Babel. Now I'm listening to the score, just downloaded from iTunes. Have any of you seen it? Or Amores Perros, another movie by the same director, Innaritu? Wow. With cinematography by Rodrigo Prieto, who also shot Brokeback Mountain. And music by Gustavo Santaolalla, who did the music for Motorcycle Diaries. Wow. Wow.

Tomorrow I start shooting my little 19-day-shoot cable movie in Winnipeg. I could go either way with this. I could say: in the face of Innaritu, why bother? Why not just lay down the camera? Or I could go: I'm not Innaritu, but I do get to play with a camera and actors tomorrow. And look what you can do if you catch the wind of a little inspiration! So I'll go with the latter and say: God, hear my prayer, and fill my sails.

5 Comments:

Blogger A Troll At Sea said...

Tom:

art happens when we work within the restrictions. The ones they impose, and the ones we carry onboard.

every once in a while, there is a huge cathedral ceiling, and some guy whose women all look like men with endocrine problems, goes to town.

but most of the time, we are all just doing what we do. And to other people, it looks different and odd and perhaps even new -- because it's us filtering stuff.

even Shakespeare recycled other people's plots and speeches.

Hang in there.
Make a "pretty good" cable movie.
Play well with others.

the Troll

5:23 AM  
Blogger Facets of V said...

We shouldn't compare ourselves to others, rather just do whatever it is we do to the best of our ability and reap the satisfaction. Just because they can't be Van Gogh doesn't mean other artists don't have signifigant contributions to the world of beautiful things! It takes lots of talent to do the job you do. Monday morning, go do your thing, and may your sails fill to overflowing!!

7:56 AM  
Blogger Jason Hesiak said...

Hey Tom,

I just finally caught up with your blogs that I haven't read in too long now. I enjoyed. I see you are in frigid weather now, filming again. Your success seems to be rising (one movie after another!)...and your attitude as well (you've repeated a number of times that you remain calm in difficult circumstances...something I often can't claim). Good to catch up. And I saw Babel too. Was awsome. Although I think I liked 21 Grams better. But that doesn't say anything bad about Babel, because I REALLY liked 21 Grams. Hope things are going well with your movie.

Jason

8:37 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Tom,

You know that I'm/you're/we're continuing to see WAY TOO MUCH self-doubt here.

Focus on what you ARE contributing. I'm confident it will make you, and those around you, feel and perform better.

(OK, I know that nobody gave me any authority to be preachy. But that's where I stand.)

7:15 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Tom -- I apologize for the tone of my previous comment. –- I strongly believe: You deserve the privilege of directing this movie. For good cause. You’ve earned it.

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home