Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Why I'm Not Blogging Right Now

So I took the rate-your-life quiz posted over on Bigg's blog and here's how it turned out:

This Is My Life, Rated
Life:
8.4
Mind:
7
Body:
7.1
Spirit:
8.8
Friends/Family:
7.8
Love:
9.1
Finance:
8.8
Take the Rate My Life Quiz


What can I say? I have a really good life. It feels like a crazy thing to say (especially today when I scarfed down tons of 72% cacao chocolate this afternoon and now feel kind of crashed-down-low) because my mindset has always been so focused on what's broken about me and what therapy or philosophy or achievement might be the right fix. I know that's no excuse not to write about the stuff of my life. I'm sure Barista Brat also has a really good life and somehow or other she manages to find something witty, biting, insightful and funny to say about a whole bunch of stuff practically every day. And I can't say I don't want to blog because hey, busman's holiday, I write all day long every day anyway, because John August is brilliant and successful and an internationally acclaimed artist and he, too, always finds something witty and insightful and illuminating to blog about. I think I'm not blogging because I thought it would be one area of my life which wasn't competitive, which just WAS, but in fact I end up reading lots of blogs that are so much more focused and funny and narratively suspenseful than mine that I end up going, why bother? And it's hard enough for me to keep writing screenplays and directing them with that feeling always lurking just at the edges of my field of vision--why add another you're-not-good-enough endeavor?

Who knows. That's why I haven't been posting. But I sure love reading all your blogs.

I will say one thing: I think the movie I'm making right now, based on evidence to date, is an authentic class-A four-hankie tearjerker, and that's something I'm damn proud of.

2 Comments:

Blogger Facets of V said...

Whether or not you have something 'witty, biting, insightful and funny' is irrelevant..I come here to read the bits you share with us about your life, and in the process learn more about the man I have come to admire. Not the writer/director professional who no doubt is admired by many, but the MAN. The husband, father, human. If you just aren't in the mood to share...that's fine but never feel like you are not good enough...NEVER!

1:09 PM  
Blogger Wide Lawns said...

What V said!

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home