Sunday, April 16, 2006

Dear Abby



I have blogged a lot about my relationship with my wife of almost 25 year, my wife whom I met the summer after my freshman year at college. We are now at a crossroads in the marriage--though she would claim that we are not, that everything is fine if I would only see that. For me the crisis feels less about what I should do about the relationship than what I should think or feel about it. But maybe not. Maybe I do need to do something about it. One way or another, it scares me to think of going on the way we're going without something changing, inside or out. I'm posting this as an open Dear Abby letter to all of you. Read the tale and then tell me: what path, kind readers, should I take?

In the picture you see us on a perfect day in the summer of 1976. I'll call that a starting point, though she had already been my girlfriend for three years. It was a day full of adventure, discovery and romance, and it was only one of many. Within six years of that perfect day we were married, with our first child, our first underpaying jobs, living in an apartment we could barely afford--in short, within six years of this picture being taken, our childhoods were over. With responsibilities, bills, early hours at work, late night breastfeedings and our collective and individual anxieties about our future, things began to change. Gradually, we began to have less sex. But the fact remained that when we did have sex it was as close and romantic as it was the day the picture in this post was taken.

Now, several chapters later, we still have sex. But the fact is, the sex isn't good. It's bad. I never thought there could be such a thing as bad sex, but there is. The heart of what's bad about it for me is that my wife will not take pleasure from me. It's all about getting me off, which may sound good to somebody whose spouse doesn't even do that. But my wife has now openly and calmly declared that she loves me, loves our life together, loves sleeping pressed up against me, but isn't interested in having orgasms anymore. She used to come easily and freely but, interestingly, only from intercourse--at our hottest and most sexual, as I've blogged before, I wasn't allowed to go down on her or any other kind of direct intimate contact--just screwing. And when there was lots and lots of that I certainly wasn't complaining. But I'm complaining now.

Maybe what I'm complaining about most of all is something very small and very simple: she won't kiss me in bed anymore. Ever. Not all the toothbrushing and flossing and shaving in the world makes any difference. We used to make out endlessly in bed. We haven't kissed in bed in years.

I remember the first time, a couple of years ago, when I realized that I wasn't reaching her sexually any more. Of course I went straight to blaming myself. But now it's becoming clearer that this is her choice. Or maybe just where she is in pre-menopause. But either way: I've tried to talk about it, I've tried to get her into therapy, but she's not budging, and I'm not taking the rap anymore. She went for therapy once, very briefly---about five years ago I found msyelf writhing happily around in a bed in a Washington D.C. hotel room with an old girlfriend and then walking around for a week in a blissful erotic haze from the experience and then getting back to L.A. and dragging my wife to counseling--without, by the way, telling her about the old girlfriend and the hotel room--because I wanted that erotic haze to be about her again, about my wife. She bolted from the therapy after a few weeks--when we were actually getting somewhere, I thought-- and now categorically refuses to consider going back, and gets so pissed off when I bring it up that I now know that's over: I'm not bringing it up again.

Both my wife and my therapist say the problem is my mindset---that if I love her I can love her as she is and find joy and pleasure in the setup as it is. And there are days when I think they are right, and days when I can talk myself into that, and days when we have sex that I can enjoy in spite of the one-sidedness of it.

But I finally admitted to myself this week that I don't like having sex with her anymore. Too much inequality, too much trying to make something happen which isn't going to happen, no savoring of the moment, no discovery. I'm actually losing my attraction to her. I'm not getting as turned on. It just isn't feeling good, either physically or emotionally. There was a great time in the shower a few weeks ago, which I wrote about here, but the fact is I was mostly happy that I was actually able to enjoy it so much--because it had been a while since I had.

Every time I actually think about leaving her over this, about telling her that I'm not ready to settle into what we've settled into for the rest of my life, the thought feels ludicrious: are things really bad enough to warrant shredding up my life like that? But every time I think about never having that feeling of her being turned on under my touch, never feeling her come, never kissing her in the dark of our own bed in our own home--that feels equally untenable.

So what do I do?

13 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

Excellent questions. I am not looking for a reason to exit, nor have I already exited. This is my home and this woman is my partner. The question is: how happy can I be with flaws in the partnership that I am not beginning to realize may not get mended? And: what, really, can I expect from life?

7:42 AM  
Blogger annabkrr said...

Damn, I thought the post was full of tough questions, then I read what you two just commented.

I NEVER kiss my husband anymore. In fact, I could not tell you the last time we did kiss. He stopped kissing me a long time ago, even when we have sex. His idea of foreplay is spitting on his hand ((I am NOT lying)) or breaking out the lube. I have not had an orgasm with him other than by oral in so long, I honestly couldn't tell you even if you put a gun to my head and demanded to know.

I think it's all based upon the fact our relationship is so fractured and irrevocably damaged. And I really feel sex is the last thing to go, long after everything else has melted away or has been trampled and thrown away, and you can't even connect on the most primal of ways. Even two strangers can connect sexually and give into abandon and mututal gratification, why shouldn't the two people closest in the world? When the time comes that you look across the table at one another and accept the inevitable truth, what are you supposed to do? Especially if your partner is happy to live in a broken and unfulfilling relationship?
I can only suppose that is the time you pick up your life and leave, but never forgetting the joy and passion you once had with your partner, and be eternally grateful for the life you once shared. ONCE is the word you have to accept and ask yourself if you are ready to make that first move. What will you ever know about the "what if's" if you never take the chance? Nothing. You can live unhappily till you're 100 and continue asking "what if" and only imagining the life you could have had, SHOULD have had. That's not the way I want to live my life and it's not the way anyone should settle for, regardless if you spent 50 years with a partner but only half of those were happy.
Our time here is so short, and we aren't guaranteed tomorrow. These minutes that tick by quickly add up to unforgiving years. If there isn't a chance to make it better or you don't want to try, you owe it to yourself to be happy and to be with someone that you can make happy.
The only thing you can expect from life is that one day it will end. The time we are given has to be lived to the fullest and with all the heart and passion we can find, that we can make.
I know that I don't want to continue living my life without a kiss on my lips that burns it's way to my soul, leaving me breathless and unaware of the rest of the world.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Facets of V said...

I wonder, has the love you had and I believe still have, changed from a passionate love to the comfortable habitual one of partners of many years?
The non-kissing thing must be more widespread than I ever imagined...my own hubby hasn't kissed me in many years.
As much as I like telling people what to do, only you can ultimately decide just how important the intimate emotional/physical connection is to your happiness and satisfaction in your life. Are you unhappy enough to make it worth breaking up your home and family? If the wife is no longer interested in the sex part of your marriage, would she mind you finding somebody that IS interested? Perhaps asking her that will make her re-think her position..or at least her reaction may give you some additional information to help with your decision. lol Be prepared to DUCK though!!

12:46 AM  
Blogger Juanita said...

Wow, some really tough questions, Tom. You're unhappy because your wife has built a wall around herself, the most intimate part of herself, and left you to knock at a door which never opens. Sex is incomplete and lacking when it's about one person. When you think about it, it's kind of like assisted masturbation. What happened in your relationship that she can no longer abandon her defenses with you? Can it be she suspects your infidelity? To me, the problem you describe sounds like a symptom of a larger problem. The lack of kissing is a clue. I've heard that the one thing a prostitute will never do is kiss, because it's too intimate. You guys have lost your intimacy. What can you do to get it back? You'll have to start outside the bedroom. Of course, this is only my opinion, which you'll have to take with a grain of salt since I don't know crap. Good luck.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Flip said...

Tom,

What does your sponsor say?

Flip

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anna speaks truth. Recently I have been reflecting on the emphasis we place on sex rather than the simple kiss. A kiss for me is the foundation to a lasting love. It breaks my heart to hear that committed couples have forgone this exqusite pleasure.A kiss communicates a more intimate feeling then the majority of the sex I have had.If nothing else, I'd like to believe I'll grow old with someone who's kiss I thrill to and who thrills to mine.

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree--it sounds like you've lost the most important aspect which is overall intimacy. If you don't rebuild the intimacy, you might not ever feel connected again. Kissing is a huge basis for intimacy, I think. Even when you aren't 'in the mood' for sex or don't have the energy to 'go there' on a given night, kissing can really be effective in connecting you to your partner. I also agree that life is short and you shouldn't be unhappy, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't continue trying to fix what's broken. A relationship is built on much more than sex. Sex is part of the pie, but it's not the only ingredient. Don't throw your past away just because of sex. But, here - it doesn't sound like it's just sex. It sounds like it runs deeper. I wonder if she ever found out about the ex-girlfriend in DC? Perhaps she lacks trust nowadays? Trust can destroy sexual urges and intimacy.

4:59 AM  
Blogger Facets of V said...

Just had another thought Tom....perhaps it's the wife who has strayed and YOU don't know?

4:50 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

It is so difficult to find what you really feel underneath all of the swirling questions, isn't it?

I pretend everything is okay because I want everything to be okay. I don't want to deal with the emotions that would come if I was honest with myself.

I have been married for more than fifteen years and have never made love with a straight man. For nearly two-thirds of our marriage we've been having what I call lesbian sex, which wouldn't be a problem except that I am straight.

Something is definitely missing. But is it enough to call it quits? Let me know if you figure this out. I would love to know the answer.

B - My blog: sh-out

4:22 PM  
Blogger Jason Hesiak said...

Wow, Tom. Sounds to me like a big deal that you've admitted to yourself how you really feel. By that I mean, seems to me that a big goal in itself has been accomplished. That may sound obvious, but put it in the context of your questions of whether or not you should leave your wife. Sounds to me like you are trying to jump to conclusions with that one.

How bout taking where you've gotten, and going back to the beginning? A question of true intimicy. Are you willing to couple the realization of how your really feel in your heart with GIVING ALL of who you REALLY are to your wife, including shameful secrets of being unfaithful?

Radical trust is required for radical intimacy. In my opinion, your wife doesn't have to know, or necessarily even consciously suspect infidelity for it to be affecting your relationship with her. Like the technologies of man, his words and actions take on a life of their own that can then speak for themselves, and in turn affect the man who was their origin. A man can become a slave to the things that he himself concieves.

And just to throw it in there, from my Christian perspective, that kind of trust, referenced above, is the kind of Jesus' trust in his Abba that allowed him to go to the cross. For me, that's the model of intimacy and trust after which we all seek. The kind that makes no damn sense whatsoever - until you get God in the picture. Intimacy between us and God. I believe Jesus didn't necessarily know the resurrection would happen (meaning, of course, I believe in the resurrection).

He TRUSTED God, taking that foolish, bold, reckless and radical, but necessary, step of trust that flowed naturally from his intimacy with his dear Abba (an ancient Jewish toddler's informal name for his Dad), the one who sits on "throne" of heaven. Others' comments have suggested that to "solve the problem" you have to look outside the bedroom. I wouldn't know, but that sounds probable. But I think one has to look FIRST to the upper reaches of heaven, and from there one can see ALL the rooms of his house.

That's WHY our actions can speak for themselves; because they are heard at the top of heaven. So then we have to journey there for an inventory of effects, along with a clearance sale - both of which happen simultaneously. We hear the dungeon's doors of our lives turning and locking as we turn away from our demons. But freedom from our demons comes when we turn and face toward them in all of their ugliness and terror.

It's REALLY hard. But, Tom, seeing the other stuff you've done, I TRUST you can do it. God bless.

12:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Good day
Who listens to what music?
I Love songs Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton

3:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Real nice! Keep up the great work. Good work. Enjoyed the visit!
- thetruthabouttom.blogspot.com q
07 car civic honda
buy used car
car undefined used
used car bergen
used car oakland
used car greensboro
used car raleigh
used car killeen
used car vallejo
used car tacoma

3:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home