Sunday, March 26, 2006

Unspeakable

There was an interesting cross-blog discussion recently about the issue of self-censorship in blogland. One cool blog friend went so far as to take down her blog because she felt she wasn't being totally honest in it, so why bother? I miss her blog, but I admire and even envy the integrity of the move. When I started blogging I thought: wow, I can say anything, because nobody knows who I am anyway! But then you make cyberfriends. Cyberfriends you really like. And you want them to like you. So you start to issue press releases instead of genuine messages from the heart.

Tonight I make a move toward real honesty. I tell something really horrible about myself. In sophomore year of college I had two roommates. One was as lost and sad as I was, but with even bigger shames and secrets. One was a player, outrageously good looking and at ease, with more girlfriends than he could handle. Note that during this year I didn't just have acne, I had cystic acne, which means big red weeping golfballs under the skin, always where it counted most: nose, jaws, between the eyes. The good looking confident roommate (for whom I ghost-wrote a paper once in exchange for a few hits of windowpane acid) had two gerbils and a white rat named Henrietta. He'd go to classes with Henrietta on his shoulder. They were very close, my roommate and that rat. I tortured the rat and the gerbils. It was my revenge on my roommate for being good looking and getting laid all the time. I would poke the gerbils with sharpened pencils and once, or maybe more than once, I swung Henrietta around my head by the tail. The other roommate did these things too, but I wasn't a follower in this. I would get sexually turned on by torturing the animals. I'm sitting here thirty three years later trying to remember if one of the pets died from this. I think maybe yes, but that may just be guilt talking. I was never found out, though the other sad roommate and I used to talk freely about the fact that we were doing it. My only defense here is that it happened over three decades ago and I haven't done anything remotely like it since, or wanted to. But that doesn't change the fact that I did it. The good looking roommate is now a big deal real estate guy in Manhattan. We had lunch a few years ago and he seemed happy. He does, however, carry a certain amount of anger at me---because I talked him out of being pre-med. (I did this because he was miserable and hated and couldn't pass organic chemistry and didn't want to do it anymore. He didn't take much convincing.) He thinks he would have made a good doctor. The other sad roommate was a gifted pianist with hopes of a solo career but he would get extremely nervous playing for people, his hands would go all to spaghetti, and I may be the only person who knows that he really had a measure of genius. Now he teaches piano at a girl's school in Canada. He says that in twenty five years of teaching he has never had a talented pupil. And many years ago, while Richard Nixon was president, he and I tortured our roommate's pets.

Now: will I have the nerve to press "publish post"?

7 Comments:

Blogger annabkrr said...

What a brave thing to do. I've been debating whether or not to "spill" secrets I haven't told.
Bravo to your courage. Keep it up, give in to freedom and abandon and may they lead you to peace.

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Getting turned on by torching rodents? O.K. you've passed the honesty test, a little too well.

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The unspeakable has been spoken. Disturbing?..Yes.Frightening?..Yes.
Sexual?..Yes. Conspiratorial?...Yes. Human?..and finally.. Yes.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Bigg said...

Aaawww, that's okay! Now don'cha feel better to have it off your chest?

7:55 PM  
Blogger Jason Hesiak said...

Tom,

I always enjoy your site every time I visit. I like seeing you seek after God so honestly the way you do. It seems so raw and genuine. I myself have recently revealed my main skeletons to a good friend in my life who is also an authority figure. Actually, it's not really so much of a skeleton as a living monster (it still affects my life). Revealing this about myself to this person made me face more directly the darkness of my own soul.

My desire to try not to face it made me question the genuineness of my faith in Christ. It's been a real struggle. And then I had a moment with him last night - at the gym of all places. I think the only way it would be possible for us to face our darkenss like this, or to even QUESTION our genuineness, much less to BE genuine, would be in answer to the genuine call from God to fully and genuinely be the true self that He created us to be. And this willingness to be me came from hearing the whisper of God's ABUNDANT love in the face of the strongly conflicting messages of unlove, failure, condemnation and hopelessness. But yeah, God's love for the WHOLE me (including the part that would be willing to committ adultery) is the how I am able to find me. Anyway, I like how you put all of your self that you know into finding your self.

I would like to say, in regards to the question as to whether you are being moved by fear or love - "Perfect love drives out all fear." Just something that came to mind in relation to what I was just saying in conjunction with your blog. That gives me a pictre of a love pushing on the back of a fear, the fear being the thing that we see in the foreground. In other words, I would guess that they are both present in your decisions in an intermingled way that can hardly be separated.

Also, regarding the whole Christian Republican Coalitian thing: there are many more rumblings among the Christian forest besides my own whispering around about the hypocracy of the typical extraordinarily narrow-minded Christian view on politics. I'm not the only one, by any means. Although I am probably more vocal about it than the others that I know.

Bush might say he's a Christian, but, as I heard someone say once, "If you pray to the God of War, my friends, you get war." The implication of course being, if you pray to the God of "a peace beyond understanding", you get "a peace beyond understanding".

Once my pastor asked for feedback from the audience on the question, "What do you think of when you think of the Anti-Christ?" I blurted out, very loudly and only half-joking, "Bush!" I definitely caught a lot of flack about it, but I also definitely don't regret it.

Jason

6:02 PM  
Blogger Facets of V said...

It's hard to adnmit our flaws and mistakes and vulnerabilities...way to go Tom...and we still like you!

9:48 PM  
Blogger annabkrr said...

Alrighty Tom, write something already!! ((tapping foot impatiently))

3:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home