Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Meme Response

The deal here is you answer a question posed by the person who tagged you and then tag somebody else to answer a different question. The question from Bigg was : if your adolescent child came to you at some point in the indefinite future and told you he/she was gay, what would your reaction be?

I hope my reaction would be: Cool. What would you like for dinner? But who really knows how I'd actually react? A friend of mine from grad school, in this position, gave his son a big hug, told him he was proud of him, they cried together a little, and that was that.

The question, which I pose to anybody who feels they have any kind of answer to share, is:

Is this all there is?

6 Comments:

Blogger Bigg said...

Tom,
I think I wrote and deleted about six replies to this post, and then deleted them.
I want you to know that things can get better. The problem is that you may not be able to make them better by yourself -- sometimes you just gotta wait for luck or fate or circumstance to set things right again.....

1:20 PM  
Blogger annabkrr said...

I've pondered this one for many years, and all I have ever come up with is that I have no idea.

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would not be happy at all, and constantly worry about their future happiness. Life is simply complicated enough without adding an orientation that still isn't accepted, despite the progress that has been made. Any parent of a gay child will tell you that their main concern, when they first find out, is how their child will be treated by society.

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But then, 13 years later, when gay son/daughter is happy etc, and healthy, and partnered, that's another story.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Flip said...

Hi Tom,

In my very humble opinion, some questions are better left unpondered. More realistically, I think you are discovering a lot of questions that once explored will either provide an answer to this question or render it irrelevant.

Thanks.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Facets of V said...

Tom, there is always more, my opinion being that more is not always the answer or even necessarily better. Hang in there.

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home