Sunday, August 06, 2006

Director to Director

I had dinner last night with a director who is in town to direct another one of the movies in the set of four of which I am doing the first--all adaptations of books in the same genre. He has directed thirty movies to my three, he's good at it, and I look up to him a lot. He wanted to ask me about the local crews, who was good, who wasn't, and where the good places to eat were. I wanted to ask him why he was doing one of these movies, given, as I had heard, that he didn't like the novel or the script and was furiously rewriting it himself. He told me it was a good question and the answer, basically, was that there isn't a lot out there. Then it hit me: I am unbelievably lucky to be working. This guy who is an A+ TV director is getting the same level of job that I'm getting. The TV movie business, cable and broadcast, has shrunk to a shadow. CBS no longer makes movies regularly, NBC almost not at all, ABC a couple a year, etc. The director told me that as he called various other directors to get references on potential crew he could hear in their voices the unasked question: How the hell did you get a movie?

Then the director knocked me over with this statement: At this point I'm just hoping to make something I'm not ashamed of. Which is really several steps below what the great French director Francois Truffaut said: Making a movie is like riding a stagecoach. You start out hoping to have a great ride. You end up just hoping you get to your destination.

And what am I hoping for? A well-made entertaining romance that delivers the goods to its intended audience. Am I pulling that off? I watched all my dailies today and it was a pin in the bicycle tire of my end-of-the-first-week high. So much slow pace, so many camera moves that don't deliver as I'd hoped they would, so much acting that is overwrought, so much that is prosaic and just there. Sometimes when we're on the set the actors and the crew and I talk about our favorite movies, particular scenes and moments that we love, and I think: nobody here, me included, thinks that what we are making will ever be a movie that people talk about that way.

All of that said, the big truth is that only a quarter of the movie is in the can. I have three more weeks to pick up the pace, move the camera in more dynamic and effective ways, tone down the overwrought performances, coax the poetry out of the moments.

Onward!

7 Comments:

Blogger Facets of V said...

Every day is a new start, a new opportunity to improve or correct!

10:50 PM  
Blogger General Catz said...

i see someone else loves La Nuit américaine.

Is it important to you to just direct films? Seems there is such an explosion of terrific tv shows on cable these days.

thanks for keeping in touch on my blogge.

xx

12:08 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

You are right about the great cable shows these days, they are way better than 99% of features, and I would love to direct episodes of Nip/Tuck or The Shield or Weeds or Sopranos or The Closer but the truth is that with the decrease in film production in L.A. in so many areas, and so many hugely talented directors on the market, those jobs are harder to get than you can imagine. Among the hardest of any jobs in the business. Especially for somebody who, like me, has no episodic directing credits. Even when I had my own show on the WB which I had created and of which I was the executive producer the network would not consider giving me an episode to direct.

!!!

1:26 PM  
Blogger General Catz said...

God that really sucks. But yes, i can imagine every director and their mother would love to direct an ep of Nip/Tuck or Rescue Me.

Best of luck with the film now, now is all that matters anyway!

6:32 PM  
Blogger Jason Hesiak said...

Yeah, I'm with you, lucky to have work...God bless work!! Wait, uuhhh...can we reconfigure? Did I just say that? Let's back up. Is there a "reboot" button here? Better idea, how bout if I sit under a tree while the plow works itself, meanwhile hidden images magically appear from the underground to our screen.

5:58 AM  
Blogger Jason Hesiak said...

Tom,
I just ordered Night, by Elie Wiesel. I have been wanting to read it, but have yet to do so. Thought you might be interested in that.
Jason

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. Tramadol 2bultram Downloadable music for pda

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home