Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Fibrillation

Two or three times a year--more if I'm not exercising or fall prey to the evil ways of caffeine, less if I ride my bike every day and live clean--I have an episode of atrial fibrillation, that is, my heart goes all wonky in the rhythm section. Sometimes this lasts two hours, sometimes three days. Today, five days before I say "Action" on my first shot, with a sixteen hour day ahead of me, I woke up at 4:30 A.M. with my heart pounding wildly (the subonscious getting its timing off and screaming IT'S LATE! THEY'RE ALL ON THE SET WAITING FOR YOU! DISASTER DISASTER DISASTER!) and when the heart had calmed down, sure enough, my pulse sounded like the rhythm stylings of a ten year old who had simultaneously gotten hold of his older brother's drum set and his dad's Jack Daniels. This means that today I will tire easily, I will get short of breath, I will be extra prone to irritability and bouts of pissy righteous indignation. And nobody can know why. Nobody. There may even be insurability issues. Yowee!

Everything on the production seems to be falling into place. Locations, cast, wardrobe, sets. The fewer things there are to angst over the more it all comes back to me: time to deliver.

With a drunken heart.

5 Comments:

Blogger annabkrr said...

OK my friend, the RN has to tell don't fuck around with a fib.

Have you been treated for it before? The shortness of breath is an ominous symptom and the major complication of a fib is blood clots.

Don't ignore it, things like that don't just go away.

But I could come do some private duty nursing for you if you need it.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

I've been checked out by six or seven cardiologists through the years. They all say the big serious surgery, the ablation, isn't warranted in my case, given the brevity of the episodes. Taking blood thinners doesn't help because the episodes are over before the blood starts thinning. Apparently the only cure is intensive sessions of private nursing.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I know NOTHING about your fib condition so I'll save you and the trouble of pretending I do. However, I will say I hope you feel better abd that I'm glad things are shaping up for you on pre-production.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Facets of V said...

Well I would tease you about being menopausal (palpitations are apparently one of the joys) but that wouldnt be very nice. lol Just take care of yourself!!

3:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think pissy righteous indignation (either in small or large dosages) is well called for more often than not and is fabulously effective. However, you need to see a doctor to calm yourself down; there are drugs for things like this you know! Take better care of yourself.

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home