Saturday, July 22, 2006

Envy

As I sit here in Calgary directing an underbudgeted 3.7 million dollar cable movie starring very good actors you may or may not have heard of, one of my best friends is in London producing an 80 million dollar movie starring Vince Vaughn, and another one of my best friends is in Los Angeles executive producing a new series for FX that has every chance of being right up there with The Shield, Rescue Me and Nip/Tuck when it goes on the air next year.

These friends are so close that I normally don't feel jealous of their good fortune when it comes, and they don't feel jealous of mine--we all root for each other, and that's a blessed thing.

But right now, maybe as a bi-product of the general anxiety of prepping a movie, I'm feeling that awful crawling unease that makes the food on your own plate taste bad no matter how good it is because the food on somebody else's plate looks so much better. Which is a luxury I can't afford because I start shooting a week from Monday and my job is to inspire everybody, actors and crew, to their best possible work.

Hopefully this awareness will steer me clear of the shoals.

4 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

Hang in there, friend. You can make this latest outing a magnificent piece of work. You have the talent and the drive to make magic, so get to it.

Don't focus so much on the negative, rather on the idea that you are directing a three million dollar movie. As small or large as that may (or may not) sound, you are a working director. Many would kill for the opportunity.

P.S. Say a prayer and be sure you take your vitamins.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

Sic--

Thanks to you, I haven't missed a day of vitamins yet.

And no, all of you out there with your suspicious minds, that isn't a euphemism for drugs.

Cal--

The funny thing is, we probably know each other.

Is your blog down by accident or design?

7:41 AM  
Blogger annabkrr said...

I've decided NOT to chastize you for being envious of your friends.
I was going to remind you of how well you have it and next time you feel all, "Poor me!", you'd better remember us regular folks who really have it badly, I mean c'mon, Cal down there just wrote the words, "All my of my OTHER FRIENDS IN HOLLYWOOD"! PUH-LEEZ fella's, gimme a break!
But then I realized that was a blatant example of my envy of you and your great life, so I chose NOT to leave a comment like like.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home