Thursday, June 29, 2006

What's It All About?

I feel that I am streamlining and strengthening the script in many ways. It's getting better. There's just one teensy weensy question I have.

What's it about?

The book it's based on is about stringing together some heavy-breathing sex scenes--lots of melting and thrusting--in a stitched-together mystery plot packed with aimless detours and suspense that never quite builds. It's vaguely about friendship and love but if you want to make a story about things like that you'd better have something new or at least powerful to say.

My first movie was about resistance fighters in a fascist America. So it was about freedom and the way like-minded souls find each other in adversity. That it wasn't a very good movie isn't the point. The point is that while I was out there making a not very good movie I at least knew what I was saying. And the loftiness of the theme got me an amazing name-brand cast.

My second movie was about vigilantism. It was a better movie than the first one partly because I really had something to say about the topic, which is that vigilantism may get a certain kind of crowd cheering for you but it doesn't do anybody you love any favors.

And what's this movie about? I just. Don't. Know.

P.S. Sarah Michelle Gellar passed! What a shocker! I had to grit my teeth and smile my way silently through the producers and casting directors being surprised and disappointed. Now we're out to--well, I won't say, because this one might happen (partly because we're offering in the area of a half million dollars) and I don't want to ruin the surprise.

4 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

It's funny you should mention "What's It All About?" because I'm in the midst of questioning my own story at the moment. So much so that I am considering tossing the entire thing out the kitchen window and starting from scratch with another simmering idea I have.
Tough call considering I've been busting my ass on it.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

Sometimes you have to follow those instincts. I hear that Steven Soderbergh was writing something else when the idea for Sex, Lies and Videotape came to him. Suddenly his brain would only come up with stuff for this other uninvited idea. And the rest is history.

4:18 AM  
Blogger Flip said...

Maybe it's all about the fact that it's not about much of anything.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Facets of V said...

How lust conquers all distractions? lol just kidding but it tickled me to think it! Keep plugging Tom, it will crystalize I'm sure.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home