Thursday, July 06, 2006

I Was Bad

Yesterday Alicia Silverstone passed on the project. The comment was "Did not respond to the character." A polite way of saying "What, you think there's something there for an actor to actually play?" That's not the worst part about yesterday. The worst part is that I went infantile. I got pissy and told the producer we were wasting time offering it to stars who weren't going to do it and we should just give up and tell the network we want to cast it with good unknowns and how stupid it was to go through the Sarah Michelle Gellar exercise in futility and how if we wait any longer I'll be left with the dregs of the earth for all the other roles (can't cast most of them unti the lead is cast) and generally did all this in a righteously indignant and whiney tone of voice and at the end of it felt so bad I just went back to my hotel and pulled the covers over the head.

The truth, of course, is that who will be in the movie is an unknown, and it might not be good, but it also might be really really good, and since I don't know which one it will be, why bother reacting to it at all? Just keep working, do the very best I can with what's right in front of me, and deal with whatever happens when it happens.

Now why does that wisdom go right out of my head so many times when I need it most?

2 Comments:

Blogger annabkrr said...

Well, I have absolutely no idea how to comment to this post because I have absolutely no idea about any of these problems you described. :) But I am absolutely positive that reading this process is very interesting and now I'll quit saying absolutely.

If you need a nurse instead of an actress, holler South.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I'm not absolutely sure of what it is you're looking for in conjunction with your story line, but the manner to which my wife and I started our relationship is certainly unconventional.

If you pass along a little more information, maybe I can help you - newbie or not.

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home